Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dreams and the Subconscious

Don't worry. I'm not going to "Freud." (That was an example of a name being used as a verb, by the way.)

All right, I do think that examining one's dreams can be helpful. No, dreaming about a Roman centurion does not mean that you are dealing with resentment due to an overprotective father. But I do feel like dreams shouldn't be immediately dismissed. Dreams are your mind with no filter, and I think sometimes by dreaming you can discover things you never would have allowed yourself to discover otherwise.

So I had a dream today, when I was half awake and half asleep... I dreamt that Brian was with another girl. We must have broken up or something, and he was telling her all the nice things he's told me. And I knew that he meant them and that she was better for him than I was and made him more happy than I did.

It was weird. It's still bothering me just because, upon thinking about it, I realized that it completely embodied my fears of what will happen... that I will just be the next girl that won't work out for him and that when he moves on he won't remember me as anything special. And I still feel this despite the times he's told me in all sincerity differently (not that we'll never break up or anything creepy like that, just so you know).

Maybe it all boils down to trust. That's an interesting thought. Maybe the reason I have this fear is because I haven't totally put my trust in him yet. And trust is the most important part of a relationship, so maybe I need to work on that.

No comments: