Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Fortunate mistakes

So I wrote a poem on the topic of love in business class today.

(Tangent: I feel rather hypocritical writing about anything related to romantic love, because I've never been in love... I feel like if I don't understand something or at least know what it is like, I have no authority writing about it. In fact, I've actually written a poem about not understanding love, in a way. But this new poem, I suppose, was my interpretation of the events that happened to another person which is ever worse, I'd say, because I'm claiming to understand their experience and love, both things I know that I don't fully comprehend... ack. I am far too tangental...)

Anyway, I got done with said poem and I thought, "I'll count the lines, and maybe I can adjust line breaks if it works." Well, I counted the lines and there was no need. Fourteen lines without even trying... that's a sonnet, baby! BOOYAH!

2 comments:

(err)in life said...

ummm.... doesn't it have to be in a pentameter too or something?

KTP said...

Only if it's a Shakespearean sonnet, and maybe Petrarchan sonnets have to as well... but a sonnet is just a fourteen lined poem.